Thursday January 23, 2020 // Lunchtime
What is important? I’m not talking about the “urgent vs. important” topic that always comes up in discussions about productivity. I’m talking about life.
What’s important in life?
As a new father, a lot of my thinking is directly related to parenthood.
The things that are important are…
- Being present when I’m with my kid
- Being able to provide a stable lifestyle and finances for my family
- Being able to go to sleep at night knowing I tried hard that day
- Continually trying to improve myself
- Spending as much time with my family as possible
- Creating something to leave behind for the world
- Remembering that our time here is brief
- Challenging myself physically (something I need to do more of)
- Smiling and laughing every once in awhile (something else I need to do more of)
- Having new experiences as often as possible
- Being at peace with yourself
- Remembering it’s not about what you did in the past but about what you are doing right now
- Seeing your friends and extended family as much as possible
- Remembering you can’t control other people but you can control how you react to them
- Getting proper sleep, drinking water, and moving
- Stopping and taking a deep breath
- Not spending all day in front of the TV, computer, iPad, or phone
- Reading to my kid
- Playing on the floor with my kid
- Rocking my kid to sleep without getting frustrated
That’s my list. I’m sure there’s more but that’s a good start. What’s on yours?
– Josh // trying to maintain focus on the important things